Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Upcycled Hydrangea Headband



I made this for my youngest daughter when she decided she needed to be like her big sister for Halloween.   Big sister was a queen with a crown so Little sister had to have a crown too.  I was scrambling to come up with and idea.  Yes, I procrastinated.   So, I upcycled an old headband that wasn't being worn.  It turned out great.  Who knew that an old headband could look so good.  



  Minimal supplies are need.  Here's what you will need:



  • 1 White Hydrangea Silk Flower ( I got mine at Michael's.)
  • 1 Headband in any color sitting around the house
  • Large Acrylic Rhinestones (I used the 12mm size.)
  • Matching Acrylic Paint (Craft Paint)
  • Martha Stewart's Glitter Paint-in the color to match
  • Glue Gun
  • Paint Brush


Start by pulling off 8 flowers.  If the flowers are on the smaller side, you made need to use 10 to 12 flowers.  You will have to eyeball this. 



Paint the flowers with the acrylic paint.  I used the wisteria color of Americana acrylic paint.  You will have to paint on a couple of coats to make sure the paint seeps through.  I didn't paint the underside.  Let the paint dry.  You can use a hair dryer to speed up the process or put it in the sun.  I opted for the later.  


Next you will want to glue the first four acrylic flowers straight across the headband.  




Then, glue the next row right on top of one another.  When you glue the second row, I rotated each flower just a bit so they don't line up perfectly.   This will make the headband look fuller.  Add the rhinestone by hot gluing it to the center and you are finished.  It's that easy.  You now have a great looking headband.  



Now, I think I saw an old red boring headband laying around that needs a new face lift too.  I think it would be perfect for Christmas!

No comments:

Post a Comment